- Works on all Acorn RiscOS Computers
- Arm3 or higher, StrongArm Enhanced
- Minimum of 4Mb RAM required, with 8Mb or more preferable
- Hard Disc with 1Mb free space - 30Mb recommended
- Resolution independant:
- Run at up to 1280x1024
- With colour depths of up to 24bpp
- The standard PC version only runs at 320x200 in 8bpp!
- Note that ARM3 version runs at 320x256, with two alternative colour palettes
- Transparency and Translucency Effects
- Fast, smooth gameplay, with up to 50 fps
- On a StrongArm, enjoy 640x480 with over 20fps!
- Will run in a scalable window on the Desktop
Sound & Music
- 8 channel stereo sound effects
- Great General MIDI music track (requires MIDI)
- CD Audio support
- !CDDB support
- Atmospheric music adjustment
- Works with all official id Doom game WADs (levels)
- Plays all correctly written PC extra levels in standard pWAD format
- Doom+ is fully network ready
- Drivers for the following are included in the box:
- TCPIP (UDP) for Local network play
- Serial link-ups
- Serial Modem play
There follows a complete changes list...
DOOM+ (aka DOOM V2.01)
New for V2.01 (over V1.01)
* Named IWAD files menu for easier selection.
* Intelligent autoselection of IWAD when new PWAD chosen.
* Start level selector, dynamically changing with IWAD and PWAD selection.
* Up to 10 PWADs may be included.
* Lump files of type &301 (DoomLump) can now be added.
* Removing and reading information on PWADs made easier.
* Video window now includes menu of possible screen modes, with an indication
of whether 'full screen' display is possible.
* 24 bit mode can now be made 'brighter' if you dislike the dingy effect of
* Control window reworked; keys more easily definable; mouse has more
options; joystick support added.
* Network skill level now uses skill names instead of numbers; monsters
options now allow 'normal' style monsters.
* Network driver can now be killed if it supports the new netspec.
* Additional command line arguments may be supplied in the 'Misc' window.
* Can be configured to automatically set the filetype of PWADs files.
* Configuration is now written to the user choices path, giving greater
flexibility on networks.
* Support for much longer command lines, allowing a Doom and PWADs to be run
from almost any directory.
* All /wad files will appear to have the correct filetype.
* Configuration can be saved as a seperate application to aid quick launching
of multiple PWADs.
* Works on a 4Mb A5000, with a choice of palettes.
* Speed increase of over 25% against an equivilent v1.01.
* 'Fast' and 'Cached' initialisation, makes the game start more quickly, with
startup in around 2 seconds on an A5000.
* Deals more robustly with broken PWADs, and can automatically update
most textures, flats and monsters without the need for external utilities.
* Error trapping improved, meaning that partially broken PWADs should never
crash the game.
* Additional option for more intensive checks of seriously misdesigned PWADs
can make them play correctly.
* PWADs for variants of Doom will give warnings. Designers may find this
* Desktop game play improved with better key and mouse handling, as well as
an ability to suspend the game. Resizing the window to smaller than 1:1 is
* Saving/loading games will never crash the game. Broken save files will now
abort with an explanation.
* Memory management improved, and should never lock the computer now.
* Scroll Lock now activates PAUSE.
* Visplanes and Drawsegs overflows are now impossible. These would have taken
the effect of 'Hall of Mirrors' effects and missing floors. Consequently,
poorly designed PWAD files will now work correctly.
* Texture problems with Ultimate Doom and PWADs (previously causing problems
with Trinity.wad) are now fixed.
* Saving screenshots made simpler through menu option, or PRINT key.
* Shareware Doom1 v1.0 IWAD lump problems now fixed.
* Descriptive 'finale' text can now be sped up by pressing a key.
* More reliable demo recording and playback.
* Joystick/Joypad control is now possible.
* New cheats added.
* Between level screen melt added. A5000 has a less memory intensive 'blinds'
effect. The effect will not be used if memory is running low.
* Improved Automap now allows PIP (Picture-In-Picture) view of the map,
overlayed map, a map that rotates with the player, and anti-aliased map
* Multiple message lines are now possible.
* Message lines can now be in a number of colours.
* Low detail display now shows the gun correctly, and in full screen more of
the gun is visible.
* AutoMap titles on maps replaced by PWADs will now appear as 'Level x' or
'Episode x, Level y' which is more realistic. Similarly, Par times won't
appear for such levels.
* Single buffering implemented, allowing full screen play in every defined
8bit or 24bit mode. 480x352x16M and 1024x768x256 are now possible on 1Mb
* Monster/player proximity sensor, giving an indication of where things are.
* Translucency can make some items in the game partially transparent. This
can give a more realistic effect.
* Spectres can now appear using the old 'fuzz' effect, or as a dim
translucent version, which looks much better especially in 24 bit modes.
* Optional clock ensures you don't spend hours in Doom, and an alarm can
remind you of this.
* Optional 'quick' status in full screen mode, providing your health, key
cards and ammo.
* Monsters remaining and secrets discovered can be displayed in the automap.
* 'Kill messages' mean you can now know what (or who) you have killed.
* Secret areas can give notification when entered.
* Sound effects can now have their stereo balance swapped.
* CD Music can be used instead of internal MIDI music.
* Atmospheric music makes the music react to the events in the game.
* IDMUSIC cheat will now identify the currently playing track. IDMUSCD will
identify the currently playing CD.
* Integrates with !CDDB to provide a track and CD naming.
* Can end level after a player has achieved a number of kills, aka 'First to
x kills wins'.
* Can end level when a player is a number of kills ahead of all others, aka
'x kills ahead wins'.
* Improved network support means that games will autodetect Doom+ games and
use its features.
* More robust network code should now never leave the driver and the game
unaware of one another.
* F12 always exits to the desktop now. 0 will now switch views in cooperative
* Playing against a PC is now possible, using the serial driver.
* Better support for malformed PWADs.
* Support for pre-release IWADs.
* Support for DeuSF style PWADs.
* More specific lump names identified where applicable.
* Conversion from Doom sprite and flat files to RISC OS sprites.
* Conversion to Doom sprite files from RISC OS sprites.
* Improved reliability.
* Help file updated with more details of setting up > 2 player games
* Null-Modem serial play.
* Modem-to-Modem serial play.
* Exceptionally easy to use.
* Support for PC play.