With the release of UniPrint 2, here are some of the new features...
- Text mode printing. This major new addition allows ASCII text based
RISC OS applications to print to any printer (previously UniPrint
only worked with graphical applications). Examples of programs
which use text printing include Edit, Zap, StrongEd, Messenger Pro,
Pipedream, Prophet and various others. This is a major addition to
the software, and completes the picture in terms of RISC OS printing
- File launching. This is an exciting new feature! Imagine if you
have a file on your RISC OS machine that you can't open, eg. a
powerpoint document, or a complex word or excel file. With UniPrint
version 2, you can just double click that file, and have it open
via the appropriate program on your Windows machine. This is
especially useful if you receive email on your RISC OS computer,
as it means that a double-click is all it takes to open Windows-
related files sent by friends/colleagues.
- Web URL launching. This was previously a feature of UP Deluxe.
With this feature you can click on a web link on your RISC OS
computer (eg. in your email program, or elsewhere) and UniPrint
will open it in your Windows web browser (eg. Internet Explorer
or Firefox). This is very useful if a site doesn't work in
RISC OS browsers, or if you need to test your own site(s).
- Multiple copy and duplex printing. The way UniPrint handles the
printing of multiple copies of documents has been completely
redesigned, resulting in much faster, and more efficient printing.
The size (in terms of megabytes) of print jobs for multiple copies
has been massively reduced, and the end results are far better.
Similarly for duplex printing (printing on both sides of the paper),
UniPrint should now behave more intelligently and efficiently.
- Lower system resources. The Windows end of UniPrint has been made
more efficient, speeding things up, and also reducing memory
overheads. This should be noticable when doing complex prints such
- Faster, better printing. UniPrint 2 should print your documents
more smoothly than ever before. The RISC OS end now also
incorporates a notification system, so that you will know what's
- Automatic detection of Virtual Acorn. It is no longer necessary to
tell UniPrint that you have installed Virtual RiscPC (or VA5000!) -
the software will automatically detect it, (and VRPC Adjust) and
- Job queuing. If you print several jobs, either from the same
machine, or from different machines (eg. school or office) UniPrint
now queues up the various jobs, ensuring that print jobs don't
conflict with each other, or print out of sequence.
- Enhanced network printing. If you have a Windows-shared printer,
you will find UniPrint now works better with it.
- RiscPC, Iyonix, VirtualAcorn compatible. All versions are now
happy running on all the different platforms. To reduce
confusion, UniPrint 2 is now offered in just 2 versions - a
VirtualAcorn version (designed for use on computers where
Windows and RISC OS are on the same machine) and the
Deluxe version (does everything).
- Full support for both !Printers and !Printers+